Starting and Stopping a computer
- Be Connected, then click Turning Computers on and off (Note: Be Connected courses require you to have created a free account.)
- Absolute Beginners Series Make sure to click the Getting Started link and reading the simple steps (NOT AVAILABLE as at 6/2019)
Mastering the Mouse
- Absolute Beginner Series. Then click 'T1 Introduction to Computers' explains the mouse and how to use it. (NOT AVAILABLE as at 6/2019)
- Be Connected, then click What is a mouse and then Using a Mouse
- The US Palm Beach Library site has some great interactive tutorials for new starters
Using the Keyboard
- Absolute Beginner Series T1 Introduction to Computers' has interactive training on the basics of the computer keyboard. (NOT AVAILABLE as at 6/2019)
- Be Connected, then click What is a keyboard and then Using a Keyboard
- Learn My Way keyboard tutorial Has audio and/or captions. Be aware that it uses the UK keyboard layout which has the " and @ symbols swapped, ie Shift + 2 will type ", Shift + ' will type the @ symbol.
Desktop and Start Menu
- Later Life Learners. Then click 'My Courses, 6. Computer and Tablet Guides, Launch Course, Using a Windows Computer Part 1 Slides 5 & 6 explains the desktop, 20 - 23 explains the Start Menu.
- Home and Learn is a UK site with several tutorials for Windows 7 and Windows 10
- GCF Learn Free has tutorials on the Windows Basics plus five versions of Windows
- If there was ONE PROGRAM to get on top of in any computer it is how to manage your files and folders. In Windows 10 its called File Explorer, in earlier versions Windows Explorer. Both are very similar in function. Below are links that explain it:
- These are a set of very good YouTube videos that I've just found that explain both the Mac and Windows file system operations. They are not too long.
- This is a full set of 40 short videos. Windows 10 Playlist - Tutorial Tips and Tricks Playlist - Learn How To Use Windows 10 - PC and Computer - File Explorer, OneDrive and More - YouTube
Apple Mac Tutorials
- GCF Learn Free has tutorials on the Mac Operating System
- People who have learnt Windows are often confused by the Mac system. Try these links: